Typewriter Text Effect in Adobe After Effects
Create your text to be animated like a typewriter in Adobe After Effects. In this tutorial, you will learn to create a typewriter text effect or typewriter text animation in Adobe After Effects without using any plugins. This is a very short and interesting tutorial, so I recommend you watch my video till the end. Because I made each video with hard work and easy for beginners.
Step-by-Step Guide to Creating a Typewriter Text Effect:
Step 1: Set Up Composition
- Open Adobe After Effects.
- Create a new composition with a resolution of 1920×1080 pixels, a frame rate of 30 frames per second, and a duration of 10 seconds.
Step 2: Add and Align Text
- Select the Type Tool from the Toolbar.
- Add your desired text.
- Align the text to the center.
Step 3: Add Slider Controls
- Go to Layer > New > Adjustment Layer.
- Rename the Adjustment Layer to “Controls.”
- Go to the Effects & Presets panel and search for the “Slider Control” effect.
- Drag and drop the Slider Control onto the Adjustment Layer.
- Lock the Effects & Controls panel.
Step 4: Duplicate Slider Control
- Duplicate the Slider Control effect by pressing Control+D two times.
- Rename the first duplicate to “Speed,” the second duplicate to “Blinking Speed,” and the third duplicate to “Start At.”
Step 5: Copy Expression
Copy the following expression:
X = text.sourceText; F = Math.round(time * BlinkingSpeed % 1); L = X.length; T = time * Speed - StartAt * Speed; Cursor = " "; if (F==1 | T>0) Cursor = "|"; if (T>=L) Cursor = " "; if (T>0) X.substr(0,T) + Cursor else Cursor
Step 6: Apply Expression to Text
- Go to the Text layer’s properties.
- Under the Text property, hold the ALT key on the keyboard and click the stopwatch icon to add an expression.
Step 7: Paste Expression
Paste the copied expression into the expression field. An error may appear, but proceed to the next steps to resolve it.
Step 8: Link Blinking Speed Slider
- Select the “Blinking Speed” text in the expression.
- Drag the pick whip icon to the “Blinking Speed” slider control.
Step 9: Link Start At Slider
- Select the “Start At” text in the expression.
- Drag the pick whip icon to the “Start At” slider control.
Step 10: Link Speed Slider
- Select the “Speed” text in the expression.
- Drag the pick whip icon to the “Speed” slider control.
Step 11: Adjust Slider Values
- Set the “Speed” slider to 5 to make the text visible.
- Set the “Blinking Speed” slider to 3.
- Set the “Start At” slider to 1 (text animation starts at 1 second).
Step 12: Customize Animation Speed
- To slow down the animation, reduce the “Speed” slider value (e.g., 2).
- To speed up the animation, increase the “Speed” slider value (e.g., 15).
- Adjust the “Blinking Speed” slider for cursor blinking speed (e.g., 5).
Step 13: Final Adjustments
- Set the “Speed” slider back to 8 or your preferred value.
Step 14: Animation Completion
Your Typewriter Text Animation in Adobe After Effects is now complete! The tutorial demonstrates how to use expressions and slider controls to create a dynamic typewriter effect with adjustable speed and blinking cursor. Customize the slider values to achieve the desired animation style.